History of the Faculty

Istanbul University Faculty of Political Science has been established as a result of the efforts undertaken by Prof. Tarık Zafer Tunaya, an outstanding scholar of constitutional law and political science. Before the WWII, the teaching of political science and administration was done in the faculties of Law and Economics. The idea of establishing a separate faculty of Political Science was already debated in 1962, but it is in a session of October 1977 that the senate of Istanbul University decided to establish a separate faculty for the study and teaching in political science. The initial faculty consisted of seven professors, including Prof. Tunaya as founding dean. The first students enrolled in November 1979. In the next academic year, the faculty was transferred to a nineteenth-century building in the campus of Istanbul University, where it still resides today. The very first undergraduate students of the faculty graduated in 1983.

27/08/2014
1139 hits

Istanbul University Main Campus

34452 Beyazit/Fatih-Istanbul

Tel: 0 (212) 440 00 00